APM Music - Labyrinth of Time (1993)

 

Composer: Various Artists / APM Music
Console: MS-DOS, GOG
Game Release Date: 1993-06-01
Bootleg Release Date: 2022-08-15
Runtime: 56:40, 25 Tracks

Here's the soundtrack for a game that's I have tried to play several times but could never get into it. I will 100% play this game at SOME point but every time I try I just can't. 

I think I've attempted this game 4 times now, all with varying degrees of success. It also doesn't help that I had some 'issue' with how I play games and really have zero interest in touching ANY point and click games at the moment (just too busy). 

But the game has a banging soundtrack so I want to write a post for it. 

Labyrinth of Time is a gorgeous but extremely cryptic point-n-click game for MS-DOS and re-released on GOG.

In it you play an unnamed office worker who, while coming home from work gets summoned by Daedelus, an architect forced to build an epic maze for the Minoan King, Minos. He asks the player to defeat the maze so Minos can be stopped. 

Minos intends to invade all times, simultaneously and take over the world and it's history. He is forcing his chief architect, Daedelus to construct a weapon to do so. So it's now up to the player to run around, solve puzzles and save the world and her history. 

I find the whole plot and the games lovely early 3D graphics to be interesting. 

Its got just the right amount of that early 3D rendering and had aged gracefully. The game is arguably inspired by Myst (I write arguably, I have never played Myst).

Unfortunately I could never really get into it. I even watched a bit of a LP for the game but stopped after deciding I really need to play this myself. I also figured I could try it handheld and have idle around in it to a movie but I already have an extremely long game for that. 

I think if I do a run of this it will either be with a guide handy or I get it to run on Magic DOSBox and take it camping. As of the foreseeable future I don't see myself really playing this. There's plenty of other games I am interested in more. 

Either way I will play this epic 'escape the room' game at some point. I already beat YU-NO, I know I can do this one. Just probably at a point where I am not so busy. 

One other highlight, and the main reason for this post is the game has a banging soundtrack. It cycles between a playlist of various ominous library music tunes. At first I thought it was just some composer over at Terra Nova Development but when trying to track down the soundtrack I found it was actually just a bunch of licensed library music the company leased from APM Music. Thankfully, a commenter over on the The Obscuritory blog had a complete list of the songs used. 

Here it is: 

Dave Vorhaus - Intrigue
Richard Harvey - The Killing Ground
Michael Storey - Kisses in the Wind
Tony Hymas - Ravages of Time
Richard Harvey - The Menacing Silence
Keith Mansfield - Pastoral Colours
Richard Harvey - A Walk in the Dark
Jean Bouchety - Heart
Frank Reidy - Hymn to the Sun
John Cameron - With Menace
John Devereaux - Chain of Events
Nick Glennie-Smith - Aztec Gold
Richard Harvey - Silent Scream
James Asher - Telecom
Richard Harvey - When Time Runs Out

All of the songs on these are available across various comps and it wasn't that hard to track them all down. I have sinced re-tagged them all and you can get the compiled soundtrack below. The songs would just play at random in the game so there isn't any rhyme or reason to the tracklist. Quality is in 320kbps. There were some songs that had alternate versions so, for length I decided to include them anyways. Enjoy! 

Edit: It is currently October 9, 2022. I have decided to re-upload the OST now with volume-corrected/properly mastered tracks as well as several tracks getting extensions. Also removed a couple of pointless tracks. This version is far better. Enjoy! 

Download: aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvTFJCQlVCNEIjeFU3aHRRQmtGRjRfcVgxalpGX3VRMldtcTlNNHM4T1ZjYW1vTUlPT0hBWQ==
p@ss: hardestescape

Comments

Popular Posts